Phone calls and e-mails are not accepted to report a student’s absence. Parents/Guardians must notify the school in writing of the reason for a student’s absence within 2 days of the absence. Absence notes are required to have the student’s full name, reason for the absence, signed and dated by the parent/guardian. This note is to be placed in the absence excuse box outside the front office door. Notes submitted after 2 days must be approved by an Administrator.
- Absences will be excused upon verified contact with the parent for the following reasons:
- Student illness
- Medical or dental appointments which cannot be scheduled other than during school hours
- Death in the family
- Observation of a religious holiday
- Emergency conditions which require help from the student in caring for the sick or injured; however regular use of this excuse or requests for absences for an extended period of time may be referred to the Student Services Department for evaluation
- Dangerous road/walkway conditions
- Required court appearance
- Students may be granted up to 5 days excused absence for the purpose of visiting with the parent or legal guardian who has been called to active duty. There are conditions under which absences may be excused (please refer to Regulations 724-1, Section III, Subsection E, Paragraph 9 (a-e).
- Pre-arranged absences approved by the principal
- Extenuating circumstances as judged by the principal
- Students will be permitted to make up work missed during excused absences.
- A student’s opportunity to make up work during an unexcused absence will be at the administrator’s discretion.
Students who have 5 or more unexcused absences will be reported to the PWCS Attendance Officer. Furthermore, any student with 10 or more excused and/or unexcused absences may be required to submit additional verifiable confirmation, such as a doctor’s note and/or court-ordered documentation, to verify each subsequent absence to be excused, or they will be treated as unexcused absences. Students missing more than 10 days (including excused) for which little or no make-up work was completed, may be considered for retention.
An Extended Absence Form is available at the front office to make arrangements when a student is going to be out of school for more than 5 days. Parents are to obtain approval prior to the absences whenever possible.
Absences for family vacations will not be excused unless the principal gives special approval prior to the trip.
Please work with us for prompt reporting of student absences. Teachers will cooperate in allowing students to make-up work for excused absences, however, it is the responsibility of the student to ascertain, complete, and turn in any missed work by the required date.